It’s been a long, hot summer and, here in New Jersey, we still have several hot weeks ahead of us. The middle of August would be a pretty rough time to go without air conditioning in your car, so you should be doing everything you can to maintain it. Here at Hogan’s Automotive, we have been providing automotive AC repairs since 2003, so we’re sharing our tips today.
Help Your AC Run EfficientlyThe first step toward maintaining your car AC is to help it run as efficiently as possible. First, don’t waste time and gas by turning your car on and running the AC before you get in. Your system actually works much better when you’re driving so, to cool the car off quickly, open the rear windows for 10 to 20 seconds and crank up the fan to force all the hot air out. Also, take the time to check your cabin air filter to make sure it’s clean. Just like your AC unit at home, your car’s filter needs replaced when it has accumulated a lot of dirt.
Get Your AC Serviced
If you regularly top off the Freon or replace the condensers in your system, you may feel like you’re doing enough to service your AC. However, at Hogan’s Auto, our comprehensive AC service and repairs are done by our experts, and include the following:
- Inspecting the entire system for any leaks
- Checking all hoses and seals
- Examining the radiator coolant, radiator cap, and thermostat
- Inspecting internal controls and compressor belt
- Measuring the interior temperature
- Conducting a cooling system pressure test
- Verifying that the AC system is working according to the manufacturer’s specifications
When to Call in the Pros
It’s possible that you’ve done all you can to maintain your system, but it still fails. If that’s the case, don’t hesitate to call Hogan’s Auto. Bring it in if you experience any of the following:
- Air is only slightly cooler than the outdoor temperature
- AC only functions while driving, not idling
- Fan is blowing only warm or hot air
- Weak airflow at the highest setting
- Damp, musty air that smells like mildew or mold
Trust your vehicle to the certified technicians at Hogan’s Auto. Contact our friendly shop at (732) 516-9100 to request an appointment. We proudly serve Edison, NJ, and the nearby areas of Highland Park and Woodbridge.